1) Am I on the right path in life? The answer is sure. No one really knows the answer to this question except for the God of your choosing. Even if you have moments where you question what you are doing in life, you’re still on the right path. Every experience in life, whether good or bad, teaches a lesson. Unless you have a life threatening addiction or you’re involved with something illegal, where you are now is exactly where you are supposed to be.
2) Is he/she “the one”? Listen, if you have to question this, they, most likely, are not...right now. That doesn’t mean you should end things. I am a firm believer of the incredible overuse of that term and also in the fact that just because you may be unsure now, doesn’t mean you won’t be later. Every relationship has their ups and downs but there is NO RUSH, I REPEAT, NO RUSH to take the next step if you aren’t ready. I hear divorce involves A LOT of paperwork.
3) Am I making my parents proud? Yes. No matter what you do, who you become, where you work or whom you may love, your parents will AWAYS be proud of you. They are required to love you. The problem a lot of people have is doing things IN ORDER to make their parents proud. Don’t think about what anyone thinks when going for a goal or doing you; especially your parents. We all want to make our parents proud but the thing is, they have been and will always be your biggest fans.
4) Am I settling? Probably, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, the pilgrims “settled” in America right? Or something like that, my 5th grade History teacher was drunk 90% of time, I am pretty sure. The point is, the word “settling” can have such a negative connotation that it makes us contemplate our existence when brought up. Everybody settles at some point in their lives, it’s just the way it is. When used in this context it usually means we are restless with the state in our lives. Not everyone can be Justin Bieber or Kanye; except Kanye, he can be whatever Kanye so chooses. Let’s be real, now-a-days, if you have a steady paycheck and a credit score above 600, you’ve made it. However, if you are like me and are too stubborn to give up your dream even while living off of hand-me-downs and Raman, DON’T settle! I am not saying up and quit your job and train to be in the NBA, but, realistically, don’t give up and take tiny steps every day to reach your goal.
5) Will I ever get out of debt? Well, I got nothin’ on this one. I am more than negative Nancy here so all I can say is, I’ll send good vibes; and go talk to a credit counselor.
6) Am I experiencing “FOMO”? For those who don’t know, and/or do not watch the best show on TV, Broad City; “FOMO” is the “FEAR OF MISSING OUT”. The answer to this question is, yes you are experiencing it; but you’re not really missing out. Unless you had to work and your best friend hung out with J-Lo or Michael Jordan while at the concert he or she invited you to, you aren’t missing anything. So you won’t be involved in an epic beer pong tourney or be there to physically witness Jake stick seven carrots up his nose. At least you were able to get a precious little thing we all treasure called sleep. Don’t take that for granted. Plus, the best is yet to come and you will NEVER miss out on the BEST. (That was me trying to be insightful….)
7) Am I too old for this? Yes, yes, yes you are. When adulting, you are too old for everything except a nursing home. At least that is how it feels. Unfortunately, us elders can’t do what we did in college. We can’t sleep until three, wear beat to crap clothes and pretend it’s some kind of liberating movement or not go to class because “we’re paying for it”. We have to wake up early, to go to work and look nice, to be able to earn money to pay for things. There aren’t really any excuses while adulting. This is life ya’ll.
Adulting isn’t all rainbows and butterflies but it has its perks. You can’t go back in time so make the best of the now! Before you know it life will circle back and you will be right back “childing”. It’s ok to have fun and set the adult in you aside for a few hours. Wear a crop top (if suited), drink on a Tuesday, and take a vacation. Just remember your cable bill is due on the 15th….just saying.